A few weeks ago, my oldest daughter and I (and Kyle) went to McComb to the community garage sale. McComb is where I grew up from 2nd grade until the beginning of my 9th grade year. With the exception of my daughter's wedding, I hadn't been back to McComb in quite some time. So, as we were walking and driving around McComb to look for bargains (of which we found many!), it brought back a lot of fond memories of my younger days. As we were walking, I was pointing out to Kim where I used to live...where my best friend lived down the street...where the high school principal lived...where I took piano lessons...etc, etc, etc! It truly was a stroll down memory lane and it made me realize what a simple time in life it was. McComb is a small community where everyone knows each other. But I can remember my growing up years in that town as if it were yesterday. I remember my best friend coming to my house in the summer to watch "The Young & Restless" every day...and as soon as it was over, we'd get on our bikes and go to the pool for the rest of the day! I can remember on rainy days, Paula coming to my house or I'd go down to her house to play Barbies all day long. I can remember playing baseball in my back yard with various friends and we'd pretend that we were the Cincinnati Reds! I can remember going up to the school and playing basketball with 7 other boys (yes, I was the only girl)...and we'd play all day long until dark. I can remember walking home from piano lessons at Christmas time and seeing all the Christmas lights shining through the windows of each house that I passed by. I remember our house at Christmas time and my mom would put electric candles in each window and the bulbs were blue. I loved the way those candles looked in our windows and I loved walking up to the house and seeing the Christmas tree lights through the window. I can remember when it snowed, playing outside until my mom would force me to come inside. She always used to say that I was so healthy because I played outside all the time...even in the winter. I remember an elderly couple living across the street from us and I'd go over there every night to watch "Truth or Consequences" with them, or we'd play dominoes. Simple times....full of such fond memories. Oh, to go back to those simpler days! It would be so nice...no worries...just good times.....but I'll always have those memories to fall back on and they will always bring a smile to my face.
Until next time............

No comments:
Post a Comment