
Growing up in a household with 3 older brothers was a challenge. By the time I was born, my two oldest brothers were well on there way to being in high school, but the brother closest to me in age was Steve. He's 7 years older than me. If there is such a thing as a perfect older brother, it's my brother Steve. Is he perfect? No. Did we ever fight? Yes. In fact, in our younger years, he used to LOVE to wait for mom and dad to leave the house so that he could aggravate me! When I was younger, Steve used to drive me CRAZY!!! However, as we grew older, and Steve was in high school, I really started to think that he was pretty cool! There's not too many older brothers that would take their kid sister to the movies.....I can remember going to "American Grafitti" with Steve. My brother would take me to Cedar Point, too.....just the two of us. When Steve went off to college, I can remember him coming home for the weekend, and he had bought me a t-shirt that said, "Ohio Northern University Streaking Team", which was back in the day when the song, "The Streak" was popular. I thought it was GREAT......my dad, who was the pastor of the Methodist church.....didn't think it was so GREAT!!! Steve just always seemed to be thinking of me...he was always in my corner. He'd also take time to play baseball with me, too, in the back yard, and in the winter, I remember going out into the backyard and we built this monstrosity of a snow sculpture....to this day, I have no idea what it was meant to be, but we had fun...just being together. When Steve met his future wife, Karen, I was blessed with inheriting a "sister". Steve was truly blessed when he found Karen. They have been together ever since. Shortly after they were married, they were both still in school at Miami University of Ohio and they stayed in university housing in their first apartment. I used to go stay with them for a weekend every now and then, and even then, Karen allowed Steve and I to have time together. We'd do simple things, like throwing frisbee, or going to Huston Woods to hike around. During one particular visit, Steve got tickets to see Maynard Ferguson, who was a fantastic trumpet player, and since I played trumpet, I was really excited about getting to see him in concert! As we grew older, and I got married and divorced, we didn't see each other as often as we used to. But, I always knew that all I had to do was pick up the phone and he would be there for me. I've always felt connected to Steve....like I can talk to him about anything. Everyone should have a brother as awesome as Steve. He has had health issues over the years and has really struggled to stay well. There's not a day that goes by that I don't think about him, and worry. I just wish I could make him feel better....I would take his illness in a heartbeat if I could, just so he could live happy and healthy! Even though he feels like crap most of the time, he still keeps going, when I know that he'd probably rather just curl up in bed and sleep. Steve fights his disease 24/7, and it really makes me angry that something can't be done for him. Anyway, just thought I'd share with you a little bit about my brother, my hero. I love him unconditionally, and I know he loves me the same! I don't tell him enough how much I love him, but I think he knows.
Until next time.....................

No comments:
Post a Comment