
I watched the Oprah show today, and it was very disturbing. The topic today was on puppy mills, where people (and I use that term loosely) breed puppies in very deplorable conditions. These dogs, in 99.9% of the cases, NEVER leave a cage, and these cages are very small. The mother of the puppies also live in very small cages with their litter. It was reported that the majority of these dogs have never even walked on grass, or even WALKED! The adult dogs are used strictly for breeding purposes. The puppies are the more fortunate ones, in that they get to leave after approximately 8 weeks, where they are sent to pet stores to be sold. It was reported that 99% of all puppies sold in pet stores come from these puppy mills. Some of the puppy mills have called various no-kill rescue shelters to come get some of the dogs that are of no use to them anymore, due to age, illness, etc. These are the lucky dogs. There is a man that runs a no-kill animal rescue, and he goes on a regular basis to rescue the dogs that the breeders are willing to give to him. The Oprah show accompanied him on one of his rescues, and the conditions of these puppy mills would make anybody with a heart be absolutely sick! Upon rescue, he took these dogs back to his farm/shelter. These dogs had no idea how to walk and, of course, were very frightened. The staff first began by getting the dogs the proper medical care that they needed and then groomed them. All the dogs were covered in urine and feces, and their coat was severely matted. Many times, the chains around their necks had also become embedded into their hair and, in some cases, their skin, and had to be cut out. This man, and I apologize for not remembering his name, or the name of his shelter, should be given the highest humanitarian award that can be given. (I'm sure if you go onto Oprah.com, his information would be available.) He has a beautiful facility, and he rehabilitates the dogs and they become available for adoption. He has a 99% success rate in his adoption process. The highlight for me was seeing the dogs learning how to play and run outside in the grass, and seeing, for the first time, the shine in their eyes.....they looked as if, for the first time in their lives, like they were something of value.
The other disturbing piece was that of a humane society shelter in Texas, who allowed Oprah's crew to follow the director on a "typical" day at the shelter. Due to overcrowding, he has to mark cages of dogs that will have to be euthanized EACH DAY, due to no room. It was the most heart wrenching thing I ever sat and observed. These dogs, tails wagging, walk to "the room", where in just 15 short minutes, their lives will end. How does one make this type of decision?! It's not the director's fault, and I know that it wouldn't be an easy decision. But, no dog should have to go through this. This particular shelter euthanizes up to 70 dogs per day! Thrown into garbage bags to be taken to the dump! And this is the HUMANE SOCIETY!!!!
What can be done? Well, as Bob Barker always used to say at the end of the Price Is Right, have your pets spayed and neutered. This would cut down on the pet population. But what about the dogs that are here now? I wish I had a big farm with lots and lots of acres, and I would rescue as many dogs as I could! I guess what I'm saying as I stand on my soapbox today is this! If you are thinking about getting a pet, PLEASE go to a shelter and take in one of these dogs that needs your love! Their "sentence" at the shelter is very short, due to the overpopulation, and millions of dogs are being killed every day! If you have a heart at all, this would bother you! If you don't have a pet, but have the time and space for one, please consider it. If you didn't see this show today, try going to Oprah's website to see if you can see it. I warn you, it is very disturbing, but it is something that everyone should watch.
For those of you who DO have a pet, give them some extra lovin' today! I know I did with my Peanut! I couldn't hug him tight enough! Don't ever take your pet(s) for granted, even on the days that they drive you crazy! No matter how irritated we get with our pets, they still love us unconditionally........something we, as humans should do with each other. So quit reading my blog and go give your pet some extra attention and thank the good Lord that he/she is in your life!

No comments:
Post a Comment