Monday, April 14, 2008

Precious Memories

As I wrote in my previous blog about my mom, I had a very special relationship with my dad as well. They are fond memories, and they are memories that I will hold in my heart forever. With my father, he had a hard time expressing his feelings to us, but we all knew that he loved us very much. With me, however, I think we shared a special bond, and during the times that I felt like I couldn't verbally express to my dad how I felt about him, I'd write him a note to tell him how much I loved him. It seems to be a Hayes thing......finding it hard to verbally tell each other how we feel, but I think we all know that the love it there. I, for one, am trying harder to learn how to verbally express my love. Anyway, to get back to my dad, there's a memory that I will never forget. After we moved to Marion, my mom and dad would sit with me on the couch before I went to school, and we would hold hands, and dad would say a prayer for my day, to keep me safe, and to pray for everything that was on his mind. I was probably one of the only kids in that school that had a father that prayed with his daughter before each day that I left for school. It's a big reason, I believe, that I survived that move to Marion. I realize now that dad not only prayed for me that morning, but probably "prayed without ceasing" throughout the day. And, one of my greatest memories was the many, many times I would ride with dad to a number of hospitals to be with parishioners who were having surgery, or were ill. I would drive to the hospital so that dad could rest on the way, and then he would drive on the way back. On the way home, if there was a Frisch's Big Boy near by, we would always stop, just the two of us, and get the chili spaghetti. It was our favorite thing in the world to eat. That, and we also liked Taco Bell's burritos, so whenever it was just the two of us, it was either Frisch's or Taco Bell. I loved these trips with my dad, because it was just US. We, as a pastor's family, had to share our father, so the times I got to be with him by myself were a special treat. The other thing that dad was famous for was knowing every dairy whip in the state of Ohio. If there was a dairy bar within a 200 mile radius, my dad could tell you where it was at, and we probably stopped at each of them at one time or another. There's a saying that is one of my favorites that says, "I may not be perfect, but parts of me are pretty awesome." (as shown in my icon) That's how I think my father felt about himself. My father was far from perfect, but he was, in my eyes, one of the greatest men to walk on this earth! I miss those times so much! They are memories that I will never forget. One more memory, was one that showed that my dad could have a funny side, too. Sometimes, we'd go out to shoot baskets, and the thing he loved to do was this silly laugh, to make ME laugh so that I couldn't shoot the basketball! Dad also loved to cook and bake. In fact, I always thought that he could have owned his own bakery and been very successful at it. Just ask any of my family members about his cinnamon rolls! He loved to be in the kitchen, whether to make a big pot of chili or to make cookies. I think it was his way to de-stress. Anyway, this is just a few memories. I will share more in time. I was going to post this tomorrow, but, after writing about my mom, it made me feel better, so I just decided to keep writing! I DO feel better now. Just thinking about happier days.

Until next time................

No comments: