Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Text messaging....

If you don't have a cell phone these days, you just aren't with the program! And, not only a cell phone.....you MUST learn the art of text messaging! We have come into a world where the main form of communication is not via a telephone conversation! God forbid! No, the main form of communication, especially if you have kids of any age, is text messaging. Dummy me! When I first learned this art, I would actually type a message as if I was typing a letter....with actual words, typed out fully. Over the years, however, I've learned the art of "text lingo" which makes your texting time cut in half! Let me give you a few examples: If your reply is OK, don't waste time typing the "O"; rather, just type "K". (It saves SO much time) If you either received a message that was funny or a message that you know the messenger thought was funny, then rather than type the old fashioned "ha ha", your response would be "LOL" for laughing out loud. If you need to use the word "to", "too", or "two", then just type "2". How about if you need to type the word "your". To save time, just type "ur". This is the English language at its finest! My brother, who I believe is one of the smartest individuals on the planet has even mastered the art of text messaging as well, and I must admit that I've been very impressed with his mastery of abbreviation. I forgot to mention, in case you haven't gotten into the text messaging scene, that you only have a certain number of characters, or spaces for your message, so you have to get pretty creative if you have a lengthy message. I have received a few from my brother that I must admit were pretty impressive, and what's even sadder is that I didn't have any trouble deciphering his message! What's even worse is that when I sit down to write a blog or email someone on the computer, I find myself having to type actual words in order for the message to make any sense! What did the world do before cell phones came into play? They certainly have a lot of advantages, but sometimes, I miss the old fashioned phone conversation when you actually TALKED to someone. Talking.....it's a lost art!

Until next time..........

No comments: