
Happy Memorial Day! Having today off has given my mind time to wonder a bit....to think about days gone by. I remember growing up when our family used to get together on different holidays, such as Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, etc....and we'd get together for a cookout and some actual together time! I also remember that while at these family gatherings, we actually had FUN being together. There was always the wiffle ball games played by the entire family...adults and kids alike. If it wasn't wiffle ball, it was softball, volleyball, badminton, croquet...just about anything we felt like playing. It really didn't matter what we were playing....it was just fun because we played as a family. After my mom and dad passed, it seemed like our family got together less and less, and now, if we get together once a year, we're lucky. I know that as we get older, we have more responsibilities, and our schedules keep us from visiting like we want or need to. But, I miss those times of togetherness. It seems like in this day and age, that the family unit is falling apart. It's like the only time a family really sees each other is at a funeral, where for one brief moment, it's like a mini-reunion, where everyone promises to stay in touch, but sadly, it never happens. I think a big reason that families fall apart is because of differences of opinion on life topics. Wouldn't it be a whole lot simpler if everyone could just agree to disagree, and for a few hours, put differences aside just so the family unit could stay intact? It's sad that we lose touch with family members and barely know our own relatives. I wish things could be different.
Until next time............

No comments:
Post a Comment